I am honored that every month, I coach a lot of great sales people and sales executives. Each of them have their own personal stories about overcoming FEAR, whether it be cold calling, asking the tough qualifying questions to the prospect, going on the limb and committing a deal in the forecast, presenting, firing a person that needed to go, saying no to a bad deal, taking a chance on a new position that was outside their experience set and it goes on.We ALL have FEAR and you are not unique if you are dealing with it. But its those of us that confront and manage it, realize that FEAR only resides in our head not in the reality, that go on to greater success and heights in their sales career.I was reminded of a FDR quote I read from his 1933 inauguration speech. “So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is…fear itself — nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance.”-FDR”Retreat into advance.” What a wise man, what FEAR’s in the Sales Arena do you have and have overcome and thats preventing you from advancing?
Five Steps you can take in Overcoming Fear in Sales:
1. Stop focusing on the negative outcome, start focusing on success and the positive outcome.
2. Identify the FEAR that is preventing you to do what is needed. Bring it out of the darkness.
3. Talk with a trusted colleague or coach about it, you will find solutions.
4. Practice, Practice and Practice, overcoming the FEAR you will beat it.
5. At Nike says, Just Do It. Every successful person has taken FEAR on at some point. You will find out how small or trivial it was looking back once you over come it.